On Friday, Jan 20th 2017, Donald Trump was officially sworn in as the 45th president of the United States.
As an “outlier” in political science, the President-elect stirred tremendous attention from both within and outside of U.S. with his strong personality and anti-establishment statements.
Scholars and politicians believe that under Trump’s leadership, major policy changes will be made and might even observe a growing trend of anti-globalization. This report will discuss US-China relations based on Trump political perspective and behaviors, such as his “twitter presidency” and controversial cabinet nominations.
Through studying Trump’s personal administrative style, his cabinet members’ professional background and U.S.-China diplomatic relationship, the report summarizes the research findings into eight challenges and eight opportunities that both China and U.S. might need to deal with in the future, and then suggests ten possible countermeasures to Chinese policymakers.
Under Trump’s “America First” political perspective, China might face eight potential challenges:
1) Intends to withdraw U.S. from TPP and renegotiate the international/regional free trade system, such as NAFTA and WTO.
2) Indicts China for currency manipulation, and proposes to raise tariffs on Chinese exports to U.S. by 45%
3) Uses tax policy and other financial measures to encourage U.S. enterprises moving back to the States
4) Challenges the “One China” Policy and the three U.S.-China Joint Communiques through making sensitive statements on Taiwan issues
5) Unleashes America’s shale gas and clean coal reserves and withdraw from the Paris Climate Agreement
6) Pressures China to crack down on North Korea’s development of nuclear weapons
7) Indirectly encourages Japan and South Korea to develop nuclear weapons
8) Reduces the “free-riding issues” by charging American allies a higher price for U.S. security commitments…
Economic, trade ties between China and U.S. as well as people-to-people exchanges have become much closer than ever, and neither side could stand the cost of cutting these ties. Both countries will soon recognize that Sino-US relations, even in the Trump Administration, should maintain the momentum of the past 40 years – that of reciprocity, mutual benefits and interdependence. The two countries should continue to deepen their cooperation with immense common interests, a great benefit for either.
There are eight major opportunities for the two countries in future cooperation:
1) Strong bilateral trade allows both U.S. and China to enjoy the fruitful outcome of shared common interests and in-depth cooperation. Through years of development, the two countries’ economies are getting increasingly intertwined with each other in various industries.
2) By actively participate on international platforms, such as the Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific (FTAAP), U.S. and China can collaboratively promote fairer game rules for the 21st century.
3) U.S. – China bilateral investment experienced a rapid increase in the past few decades. This astonishing development has resulted immense spillover effect for both countries, such as promoting domestic employment, upgrading technological development, and stimulating industrial restructuring.
4) Multinational corporations are playing an essential role in stabilizing the U.S.-China relations. By maintaining a close economic tie with these large corporations, they will continue to influence both countries’ political leaders in making restraint decisions.
5) China has a unique competitiveness in building infrastructure. Trump’s infrastructure construction plan might become the new highlights in U.S.-China cooperation.
6) After more than three decades of cultural exchanges, both countries have experienced strong growth in communication from various aspects, such as tourism, academic exchanges and immigration. With continuous encouragement, this trend will continue to make tremendous contribution in fostering cultural integration between U.S. and China.
7) The state governments of U.S. have high degree of autonomy and maintain close economic ties with China. Such a strong provincial economic relationship may allow state governments to assist both U.S. and China in strengthening its relationship.
8) With the collaborative effort, China and U.S. can make milestone achievement in global governance and delivering new forms of public goods. The recent ratification of the Paris Climate Agreement made by both American and Chinese governments can be viewed as a great demonstration of such collaboration.
China and the U.S. should take precautions to prepare contingency plans, strive to maintain the overall smooth development of bilateral trade, cultural exchanges and relations in security and global governance. At the end, CCG scholars suggest Chinese government ought to be more active in promoting the relations in the following ten aspects:
1) Initiate China-American summit, and invite Trump’s team to visit China.
Prioritize economic diplomacy, and try to strengthen cooperation in international trade and overseas investment.
2) Considering the crucial role U.S. multinational corporations play in foreign relations, China should work together with these corporations to address the importance of China-US relations.
3) Enhance regional economic collaboration with U.S., such as jointly initiating the establishment of FTAAP.
4) Further promote China- US cultural exchanges, such as tourism, education, scientific research and public health.
5) Invite U.S. to join AIIB. Collaboratively, China works together with US to foster a stronger and wider collaboration in infrastructure construction, including jointly exploring market in the third country.
6) Further enhance international cooperation with the state governments of the U.S., possible events may include regular provincial-state level summits.
7) Pay more attention to collaboration with Southeastern countries, Japan and South Korea. Creating common trust and easing regional tensions through leveraging regional cultural similarities, so as to reduce possibilities of regional conflicts.
8) Enhance U.S.-China cooperation in global governance. Through collaborative effort, U.S. and China may assist the international community in upgrading and refining the global governance system.
9) Actively engage in “Track-II Diplomacy”, provide policy advice for both the Chinese and the American governments.
10) discuss and smooth over the International cooperation treaty between the United States and China, and make a real effort to improve mutual security for both.
And these Chinese inspired changes came at the heels of President Trump’s winning the election and making a telephone call to Taiwan’s Prime Minister…
Even before he takes the oath of office, Donald Trump has upended the Chinese diplomacy and Political calculus…
Well Done Mr Trump.
And now let’s compare this Man to the previous President and let’s see the giant difference it makes for our country now that we had an election where the people were given the opportunity to throw out the bums…
Obama was given the Nobel Peace prize in anticipation of an era of peace as he had promised in his earth stopping campaign of Change and Hope.
Instead — what he has delivered is one of the most violent presidential terms ever, and certainly the most violent ever against poor people we are not at war with…
He initiated a worldwide terrorism hysteria, first by arming terrorists with Hillary Clinton and Saudi Arabia and thus creating ISIS and tens of other splinter groups, then with their misguided Arab Spring, destabilizing all the Northern African and Middle Eastern countries — just so they can overthrow Gaddafi and Assad…
Then he continued his reign of Terror, by attacking everyone with impunity, a nd without judicial oversight, or Congressional approval, using Hellfire missiles being fired by drones each and every day of his Presidency.
He fired these missiles from “All Seeing” drones flying high up in the sky, and he fired them at so called terrorists and at American Citizens without due process of Law or Judicial Oversight.
This learned jurist, a Constitutional lawyer none-the-less used Drone Killings the same way that the Bush-Chenney administration used extrajudicial assassinations, waterboarding torture, and human renderings, without asking for Legal; vetting.
And Obama innovated by going and firing HellFire missiles from drones flying above twenty thousand feet up from the ground, at innocent celebrations, like children’s birthdays, weddings, and funerals … killing scores of innocent Civilians in some of the poorest countries of the world against whom we have not even declared war.
Under Obama’s and Hillary Clinton’s “Droning” doctrine of waging Peace, we have even fired drones at hospitals and schools full of children and innocent patients — so what do you expect?
And that is utterly shameful for Obama who “methinks” has to return that Nobel Peace Prize immediately…
Because what I personally find extremely horrible, and dishonorable, is how some of the most anxious and almost shameful descriptions of the killing fields of Obama’s “droning” are those from so called intellectuals in the west … writers, journalists, people in the liberal establishment etc, who have had all the privilege and they ought to know better, yet they are fawning in sycophancy to this man who has done what he was meant to do all along by the Special interests he represented well.
He clearly served his Masters — the power … He was meant to serve…
But now that Donald Trump has come to power all that non sense is set to end.
And to see the Truth of these words here comes Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard who is an Iraq war veteran and an Army Captain who has finally had ENOUGH of Obama and just EXPOSED him on live TV, although SHE’S A DEMOCRATIC CONGRESSWOMAN
Congresswoman Gabbard (D-Hi)went on Tucker Carlson show on Fox News network, and spoke openly about Obama and ISIS and she confirmed America’s worst nightmare, is true…
CONGRESSWOMAN GABBARD CONFIRMED THAT OBAMA’S ADMINISTRATION HAS BEEN FUNNELING MONEY TO ISIS THROUGH THE CIA AND THROUGH SAUDI ARABIA.
Here is Tucker’s exchange with Congresswoman Gabbard: (Video Below)
Tucker: The average American, you, me, are not allowed to send weapons to terror groups.
Rep. Gabbard: We would be thrown in jail
Tucker: But the U.S. government, as a matter of policy, arms and aides these groups?
Rep. Gabbard: This is the problem Tucker, is that… there’s a double standard here… For years now, our government, working with countries like Saudi Arabia, turkey and Quatar, have been through the CIA, quietly arming and supporting these groups that are directly working with groups like Al-Quada and ISIS. All in this effort to overthrow the Syrian government.
Rep. Gabbard: They have ben funneling support through countries like Saudi Arabia, and others, who are also directly supporting these groups.
Rep. Gabbard: This is MADNESS that this has been allowed to occur for so long. and MADNESS that we have allowed the devastating consequences to occur as a result, without checking it.
Gabbard went on to describe her new bill that will stop Obama’s SICK policies. It is called the “Stop Arming Terrorists” act and she is urging Americans to tell their Reps about it!